Sensory Issues

So, now that we're on a surgery hiatus for a few years (thank goodness!) we're turning our focus to how to best help Caleb learn to talk and to get a handle on his sensory issues.
 According to the book I've been reading, The Out-of- Sync-Child, "sensory processing disorder is the inability to use information received through the senses in order to function smoothly in daily life." SPD is an umbrella term. Go down a level, and Caleb would be classified under "sensory modulation disorder" and then one more level to "sensory seeking".

Basically it means that Caleb requires more input than the average child to understand his environment. He particularly craves touch, movement, and smell. I don't really understand it all and we may be seeking the help of a neurologist soon, so I would be able to explain more after that.

But in every day life it looks like this:
Constant movement- he loves to swing, horse play, be tickled, jump, run around. All sounds like typical boy behavior but he really craves.needs it. If he doesn't move enough in the day, he will move constantly at night in his sleep.
He bumps into us (especially Bethy) for the sensation.
At dinner he gets up and goes to each of us, smelling our shirts.
He could sit in a swing for hours, just going back and forth.
He begs to be tickled.
He is not aware of his body in relation to his environment so he falls and drops things constantly.
Things like toilets, flushing, automatic doors, ocean waves, dust particles floating in a ray of sunshine, his shadow dancing around are SO exciting to him.

We feel like the sensory input he missed in the orphanage are the major factor in this. From the professionals we've asked, he doesn't seem to be on the autism spectrum, although some of his behaviors fit. Most can be explained by this sensory processing disorder.
My biggest concern is that he be able to calm himself down enough, and be aware enough of his body and his environment to learn. At school, he seems to do a good job and has definitely learned a lot but I do wonder how much of it plays into his inability to talk.

His occupational therapist is working on something called a sensory diet which would give us scheduled activities to do with him to make sure he gets the sensory input he needs. But I really do feel like we're headed the the neurologist in the near future, if nothing else, for my sanity and to figure out what to do to best help our little guy.

Despite all his challenges, he just continues to be the most joyful little guy and smart too! We sure do love him and just want to figure out the best way to help him.

Comments

Nat's Mom said…
Oh my goodness! I first saw your post on RQ. You could have been writing about my daughter...same SN, same SPD, same age, etc (although home longer). The one thing that I'm finding helping is that we see a naturopath who has her on a bunch of supplements. Her sensory stuff is sooooo much better and she's saying a few more words now. Still extremely delayed in language, but I actually feel like I've seen a little progress. Good luck!
--Andrea
jhoworth1974atcomcastdotnet
Tammy said…
Hi! I got your blog from RQ. I am in the process of adopting my son from the Hebei province - Shijiazhuang. Also, my first son has SPD, struggled with attachments, anxiety, now diagnosed with PTSD (he will be 4 in Jan.). I am happy to say that 2.5 years after being diagnosed with SPD (and 18 months of OT, some PT, counseling) and he is doing FANTASTIC! His sensory issues still effect him but he can live a pretty much normal life. If you want to chat kaleymeister@yahoo.com

If you just want to read and look at pictures http://kaleymeister.wordpress.com/ This is my 2nd blog but there is a link to my 1st blog on it.

Good luck and it WILL get better! The sensory diet helps a TON!