The adventures of Tom, Katie, Bethany, and Caleb.
"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet,
regardless of time, place, or circumstance.
The thread may stretch or tangle,
but it will never break."
- an ancient Chinese belief
We knew all weeked that the new list was coming out on Monday night. I got more and more nervous as we got closer. By Tuesday morning, I was popping the pepto bismal chewables-heartburn which I have only had one other time (at the end of my pregnancy). There was no guarantee we would even receive a referral off the list, but we were hopeful. Tuesday morning I took Bethany to church for mother's morning out, nervously bought soap and 75% of Valentine's conversaion hearts at Target, and then I went to Panera and got a fruit punch. I set up my laptop, put my phone on the table, and nervously surfed the web until I couldn't handle it anymore. The wait was getting to me. I headed out of Panera and spilled my drink all over the place. Smooth one Katie. I got in my car and headed to the beach. Didn't get very far.....my phone rang......."Holt"........ I pulled over and it was THE call! 11:00am on February 22 Caleb became part of our family. We proudly introduce you...
Early yesterday morning Bethany said, "You're his parents. You're my parents too." This about sums up our life now. Trying to figure out how to do that and do it well, while coping with jet lag. Our last night, spent in Hong Kong was nice. We saddled Caleb up in the Ergo and headed out on the subway to downtown Hong Kong. We wondered around for a few hours and Caleb didn't make a peep- he was mesmerized! Our last meal was pizza from and Indian woman at a pier in Hong Kong. Go figure! Our flights home went really well. Caleb had only one fairly short screaming fit on the 15 hour flight from Hong Kong to Detroit. Not bad! The rest of the flight, he was great! The only really difficult part was immigrations in Detroit. All in all it took close to an hour and a half to make it through all the steps. Caleb screamed for about an hour of it. We couldn't find hot water to make a bottle. People were staring at us like we were a freak show. The man behind us may...
Created for Care is an amazing organization that I discovered just a month or so ago. Their main mission is to care for women who have adopted, fostered children, or are in the process. I was given the amazing blessing of attending their March retreat in Georgia last weekend and I was blown away!! I didn't know anyone. I had read one gal's blog (so fun to meet her in real life) but other than that, I was just on my own. I was a bit rusty on the ol' social scene the first night but quickly met some amazing women and felt right at home. I can't tell you what it feels like to sit next to not just one but multiple women who have sons, adopted from China, with cleft lip/palate. It's like you don't even have to say anything, they just know.... And not just the China Mommas, the sense of togetherness at the retreat was amazing with all the women. I learned a million things but here's a highlight: A lady (who had been adopted from Korea as a baby) spoke the...
Comments