Challenged

On one of my trips to Nicaragua, we went to the city landfill to visit the people who work scavenging what they can find in the landfill. They live among running sewage. There is the stench of burning trash constantly. They live in places that make our kids' cardboard forts look like mansions. They are hungry, they are sick. They are desperate for hope. While I was there, I met a family that I will never forget. The Grandmother gestured to her daughters and grandchildren (dressed only in soggy diapers) and said to us; "I know you didn't ask, but these children, they only eat once a day."

So, it goes without saying that it has been a rough month and a half for our family. But perspective is everything.

I had mono, strep, and supposedly Lyme Disease but I have a husband who can take off work and still get paid.

Caleb's surgery and recovery has been exhausting, challenging, scary, frustrating, and disappointing. For those who aren't on my facebook- he developed a large fistula which means we will have to redo the surgery. We've had to call 911 for bleeding. He's had a really difficult time emotionally dealing with everything. I could go on and on. BUT, he's with us. He's with his parents, not a random caregiver hired to take him to the hospital. he has access to all the health care he needs. He is loved and "spoiled". He has a hand to hold at night when he is scared. He is not an orphan. And we have our son.

We've been so supported and loved by family and friends and we have more than we could ever ask for.

I still have difficult days and my energy level is still down because of mono. My patience is often thin due to constant demands and little sleep. I whine way more than I should. But I am working to be at peace and thankful.

Whenever I am tempted to be ungrateful for the life I have been given, I hope God will challenge me to serve those with so much less.







Comments

Jerusha said…
Great reminder. :)
Rita and John said…
Wow, this is powerful. I'm so sorry to hear about Caleb. I hope 2012 is a good year for him and his family.