One month
It's hard to believe that September is upon us-Bethany has been in the outside world for one whole month now! And what a blessing to have her- I fall more and more in love every day. I try and cherish every snuggly moment- memorzing her facial expressions, grunts, coos, and all the uniquenesses that make her who she is. I know that some day, all too soon I fear, she will be on the go and I will no longer be able to hold her still to snuggle and gaze at. But for now, I will cherish her precious head laying against me.
She's started to get a little more awake, a little more fun, a little more fussy, and is develpoing her own little personality. Sometimes that is a happy thing, sometimes a challenge. I've been digging deep into my undergrad days of child development classes trying to remember how to best raise her. But for some things we just make it up as we go!
As for me, I continue to recover well and get stronger every day. I have driven a few times on my own but still can't lift anything heavier than Bethany so she stays at home with daddy when mommy goes out. But in two weeks I will hopefully have the all clear from the doctor to resume all normal activities. I must admit, I can't wait!!! I don't like staying home and don't like not being able to do things for myself so I will be happy to have full freedom again. Although the mandatory rest was definitely useful these first few weeks.
The biggest adjustment is probably the emotional one. Anyone can get used to crying, diaper changing, and less sleep. But the adjustment to being a mom is quite a big one. I feel the weight of wanting to do the best I can- how do I be a Godly woman, wife, mother?
All of my training and experience tells me that these years are the most formative in all areas of her development. No pressure right? Do I save for her college tuition or her therapy bills caused by my mistakes? Haha! In the end I just hope she knows that I loved her and did the best job I could to lead her towards Christ and to raise her to be a strong, compassionate woman who also knows the Lord. Maybe she'll forget that when she was three weeks old I missed when clipping her fingernails and accidently made her bleed?
And I hope that my husband will contnue to know my love for him even when she takes up so much of my time during this season of life (someday the first words out of my mouth in the morning won't be, "She's crying, will you change her?" and will go back to being "Good Morning, I love you!").
And most importantly, I pray God will continue to mold me into the woman He created me to be, forgiving my mistakes and giving me the strength to carry on.
She's started to get a little more awake, a little more fun, a little more fussy, and is develpoing her own little personality. Sometimes that is a happy thing, sometimes a challenge. I've been digging deep into my undergrad days of child development classes trying to remember how to best raise her. But for some things we just make it up as we go!
As for me, I continue to recover well and get stronger every day. I have driven a few times on my own but still can't lift anything heavier than Bethany so she stays at home with daddy when mommy goes out. But in two weeks I will hopefully have the all clear from the doctor to resume all normal activities. I must admit, I can't wait!!! I don't like staying home and don't like not being able to do things for myself so I will be happy to have full freedom again. Although the mandatory rest was definitely useful these first few weeks.
The biggest adjustment is probably the emotional one. Anyone can get used to crying, diaper changing, and less sleep. But the adjustment to being a mom is quite a big one. I feel the weight of wanting to do the best I can- how do I be a Godly woman, wife, mother?
All of my training and experience tells me that these years are the most formative in all areas of her development. No pressure right? Do I save for her college tuition or her therapy bills caused by my mistakes? Haha! In the end I just hope she knows that I loved her and did the best job I could to lead her towards Christ and to raise her to be a strong, compassionate woman who also knows the Lord. Maybe she'll forget that when she was three weeks old I missed when clipping her fingernails and accidently made her bleed?
And I hope that my husband will contnue to know my love for him even when she takes up so much of my time during this season of life (someday the first words out of my mouth in the morning won't be, "She's crying, will you change her?" and will go back to being "Good Morning, I love you!").
And most importantly, I pray God will continue to mold me into the woman He created me to be, forgiving my mistakes and giving me the strength to carry on.
Comments